Innilgard Baronial Devestiture/Investiture
May 21st, 2005

 

What we're wearing:

Eric: Fighting (Rapier)/Court Doublet of olive green wool/cotton blend, interlined with cotton twill and fully lined with black silk, the doublet trimmed with black and silver braid (15.5 metres used, and I still wanted more!) and black and antiqued silver-look buttons. The venetians were of the same olive green wool/cotton but were lined with black twill instead of silk. I used Margo's Elizabethan Men's Patterns. He wore these with a linen shirt I'd previuosly made for him. (The doublet is a little loose in the torso and a little long in the sleeves at my sweetie's request for ease of movement for rapier combat.)

Claudia: circa 1495 Venetian outfit of red cotton twill and brocade under-gown (bodice interlined with cotton and self-lined), trimmed with red satin strips made from bias binding which were piped with matching red textured piping and beaded with pearls and gold beads on the neckline. With matching three-section sleeves also embellished with pearls and gold beads, and lined with white silk. 

Worn with a white waffle-weave cotton over-gown (bodice lined with cream cotton) trimmed with pale gold and purple braid trimmed with tiny pearls. (The brocade at the bottom of the under-gown was due to running out of red twill, the neckline-matching satin strip used to hide the seam. All the beading was done by Claudia herself! The piece of white waffle-weave cotton was going to be just enough to use for the over-gown, but then shrank in the pre-washes and in a further wash post-construction so it turned out much skimpier than I would have liked.)

Danielle: circa 1495 Venetian outfit of blue cotton broadcloth undergown, the bodice interlined with cotton and self-lined, machine couched with gold cord and embellised with pearls by Danielle. The over-gown was made from cotton blend brocade with matching tied-on one-piece sleeves open along the back of the arm, the edges of which were secured over her camicia with white ties whose ends were decorated with large pearls. (I only had 3 metres for this, and could have used a little more.)

I patterned these gowns myself, and they were worn with linen camicie I had previously made using the instructions on my website, but with an adjustable neckline (draw cord) for versatility.

Me: I was wearing a circa 1510s Venetian gown with large sleeves and embroidery/pearling on the bodice, which I patterned up myself. The embroidery was done with gold cord and gold embroidery floss, and the pearls are glass. 

Once upon a time I started a Dress Diary for this project, but put it aside until now. It is as yet unfinished, but the inspiration images and embroidery design are there (I am hoping to be able to update it soon) 

I ran out of time to make up the fake camicia "sleeves" I wanted to insert in the back opening of the sleeves. My linen camicia has large sleeves, but not THAT large! LOL I figured making fake camicia sleeves was a good way to get the look without cutting into my hanky linen stash too much. But alas, that will have to wait till my sewing machine is fixed. I was wearing this with my linen camicia (trimmed with black blanket-stitches around the neckline frill) and a caul I made by attaching antique silk crepe to a wire headband - the attachment stitches are covered with glass pearls and garnets.





 


(Copyright Information: As author I, Anabella Wake, known in the SCA as Bella Lucia da Verona, hold copyright on all information on these pages. In addition I hold copyright on all images of clothing/costume that I have made. You are allowed to make one facsimile copy for your own use provided that this notice is included on each page. Please ask permission to copy, disseminate and/or distribute my work - I would like to know when and how you are finding this information of use.)