I looked so happy because these photos were taken just
after I'd been called up in court to receive both my
Barony's and the West Kingdom awards for excellence in
the Arts and Sciences - the Golden Owl and Rose Leaf
respectively. I had no idea that either was coming, but
I'm so glad I was wearing a nice dress!
Inspired by: A detail from Hendrick
Goltzius' "The Venetian Ball". (as seen above)
Pattern: My own. My last front laced
bodice pattern was re-drafted to omit the front closure,
and include side-back closure. Inner layer constructed of
two layers of cotton, and minimal plastic boning. Alcega
shoulder straps, rectangular construction skirt, front
panels shaped to fit point.
Materials likely to have been used in period:
Silk damask, trim of embroidery, applied jewels and
pearls or applied metallic laces or passementarie.
Materials I used: Cotton/poly jaquard
outer, inner of two layers of cotton calico boned with
plastic boning, lined with 100% cotton drill. Embroidery
around neckline, over shoulders and across back,
featuring couched plum and gold soutache braid, chain
stitch in gold, and applied pearls and gold plated
metalic beads. I made plain sleeves because I ran out of
time, but I am intending on lining and slitting the tops
to look like the ones in "The Venetian Ball",
and adding matching embroidery to the sleeve tops. This
dress's bodice was designed to be firm, but still show a
slight curve in the chest area - as seen in "The
Venetian Ball", and was designed to be worn without
a corset for comfort.
Partlet was made from 100% cotton, and edged with 100%
cotton lace that looks like bobbin lace. The falling ruff
was made to be detachable. I wasn't as happy with it as
I'd liked, so it's awaiting my attention.
Detail of neckline. Sorry - my fifteen
year-old camera can't do close-ups. The red-ish colored
stuff is plum and gold soutache braid. The silvery
looking stuff is actually gold embroidery floss in chain
stitch. The white blobs are pearls and the yellow blobs
are gold-plated round beads.