is being worn with a hanky weight linen camicia with
front opening - the red ribbon is threaded through an
eyelet in both fronts, and can therefore be changed to
suit the dress.
The camicia neckline has been tightly gathered, the
tiny pleats secured by back-smocking. The ruffle created
has been hemmed and blanket-stitched in black stranded
cotton embroidery floss.
I used galvanised washers attached to twill tape for
the lacing rings on this one - you can just see them
glinting along the opening edges. Cheap, but not as nice
as lingerie rings.
The view of the "V" in the back.
Portrait attributed to a follower of Tintoretto
"Portrait of a Lady In Black". (seen above)
Pattern: My own, re-designed from my
first, and for the first time incorporating my
interpretation of the shoulder-strap/wide neckline design
of Juan de Alcega's cuerpo baxo (Translation
gives this as "low-cut bodice".
Materials likely to have been used in period: Looks
like velvet to me. It's hard to tell from the low quality
picture, but I'd say plain cut velvet, interlined with
linen and lined with silk or linen.
Materials I used: Velvet - plain 100%
cotton. The bodice was interlined with fusible
interfacing, and lined with black 100% cotton drill.
Washers were sewn to black twill tape, which was then
sewn to the bodice on either side of the front opening
for the lacing. Sleeves are scalloped at the top and
finished with black satin bias binding, incorporating
loops for attaching to the gold buttons on the shoulder
straps. Black satin bias-binding around hem and sleeve